Our Board offers Core French Programs for students at the following schools:
- St. Mary School - Grades 4-8
- St. Patrick's School - Grades 4-8
- St. Joseph's School - Grades 4-8
- Sacred Heart School - Grades 4-8
We also offer French Immersion Programs for students at the following schools:
- St. Joseph's School - Kindergarten to Grade 8
- St. Mary School - Kindergarten to Grade 8
- Sacred Heart School - Kindergarten to Grade 3
Vision and Goals of the French as a Second Language Curriculum
All programs in the French as a second language curiculum at the elementary level share a common vision, as follows:
Students will communicate and interact with growing confidence in French, one of Canada`s official languages, while developing the knowledge, skills, and perspectives they need to participate fully as citizens in Canada and in the world.
The vision for our FSL students is that they will all have the confidence and ability to use French effectively in their daily lives.
In all French as a second language programs, students realize the vision of the FSL curriculum as they strive to:
- use French to communicate and interact effectively in a variety of social settings;
- learn about Canada, its two official languages, and other cultures;
- appreciate and acknowledge the interconnectedness and interdependence of the global community;
- be responsible for their own learning, as they work independently and in groups;
- use effective language strategies;
- become lifelong language learners for personal growth and for participation as world citizens.
of Learning FSL
cognitive abilities (improved memory, abstract thinking, flexible, and creative
first language skills, literacy skills and academic ability
a foundation for learning additional languages
development of interpersonal and social skills
self-esteem and self-confidence
respect for and value of cultural diversity
"In an era of increasing globalization, it is critical to heighten students' awareness that English-French bilingualism is an economic and cultural asset both within Canada and beyond."
(A Framework for FSL in Ontario Schools, K-12, p.3)
Supporting Our FSL Students
Free French Tutoring for students and families of NWCDSB (Please contact your school office for the password)
FREE French tutoring for all FSL students.pdf
Question Corner for Parents
Will my child be able to speak French as well as read, write, and understand it?
What can I do if my child encounters difficulties in French?
How will my child benefit by studying French as a Second Language?
How can parents help with French homework if they don't speak French?
How can I prepare my child for learning French as a Second Language?
How can I help my child understand the benefits of FSL?
How can I be involved in French at my childs school if I don't speak French?
French as a Second Language Curriculum Document
Canadian Parents for French
Including Students with Special Needs in French As A Second Language Programs