Vision and Goals of the French as a Second Language Curriculum
All programs in the French as a second language curiculum at the elementary level share a common vision, as follows:
Core, Extended, and Immersion, Grade 1 to 8
Students will communicate and interact with growing confidence in French, one of Canada`s official languages, while developing hte knowledge, skills,and perspectives they need to participate fully as citizens in Canada and in the world.
In all French as a second language programs, students realize the vision of the FSL curriculum as they strive to:
- use French to communicate and iteract effectively in a variety of social settings;
- learn about Canada, its two official languages, and other cultures;
- appreciate and acknowledge the interconnectedness and interdependence of the global cummunity;
- be responsible for their own learning, as they work independently and in groups;
- use effective language strategies;
- become lifelong language learners for personal growth and for active participation as world citizens.
The Ontario Curriculum; French as a Second Language, 2013, p.6
For a complete copy of the framework, click here.